Search This Blog

Saturday, June 27, 2009

Program by example

Cockburn writes:
You can and should start taking advantage of people's strengths in copying and altering work samples. Create a small, online library of real samples for work products produced on your (or some previous) project. Other people can then simply copy one of the samples as the base for their own work. In copying it, they will pick up both the structure and style from the sample, while changing the details to fit their purpose.

The implication is, of course, that you would like the work samples you collect to be relatively "good," having structure and style you don't mind having copied. They don't have to be perfect, of course, just "good enough."


I cut and paste code all the time. I think I have a catalog in my head of all kinds of patterns of solving problems. I wonder if people would use a WIKI site with code examples instead of cut and pasting from the codebase?

No comments:

Post a Comment