Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Them's Funky People

Cockburn writes:

There is some resistance in our industry to the idea that people factors dominate software development.

As I participated in initiatives for formal program specification, advanced programming environments, and new development processes, I kept discovering that successful teams were still delivering software without using our latest energy-saving ideas.

Initially, I viewed this as a nuisance: "Why can't those people just realize how much better off they would be if they used our ideas?!"

Eventually, it went from a nuisance to a curiosity.

Slowly, it became a discovery.

I reversed my assumptions and found that the opposite correlation held: Purely people factors predict project trajectories quite well, overriding choice of process or technology.

I found no interesting correlation in the projects that I studied among process, language, or tools and project success. I found successes and failures with all sorts of processes, languages, and tools.

A well-functioning team of adequate people will complete a project almost regardless of the process or technology they are asked to use (although the process and technology might help or hinder them along the way).


I need to remember this. Put the people above all else.

No comments:

Post a Comment